The Department of Justice strives to ensure that Canada has an accessible, fair and effective system of justice that reflects Canadian values, through the development and management of policies and programs aligned with sustainable development (SD) principles and practices. Justice also supports the Government with effective and responsible legal advice and services that consider SD principles, where appropriate.
As part of its mandate, Department of Justice provides critical legal services to support client departments in implementing Government priorities including the components of the first cycle of the Federal Sustainable Development Strategy (FSDS), notably policy and program development, the preparation of legislative and regulatory instruments, and support on regulatory enforcement.
Justice’s Departmental Decision Making and SD Practices:
- SD Governance and Implementation
- Activities and Commitments Related to Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA)
- Departmental SD Activities/initiatives Not Captured in the FSDS
The Government of Canada released the 2013-2016 Federal Sustainable Development Strategy on November 4, 2013. The 2013-2016 Strategy is an update and expansion of the first strategy.
Department of Justice Resources
- Report on Plans and Priorities 2015-2016
- Departmental Performance Report 2013-2014
- Previous Departmental Strategies (archived on the Web for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes on http://www.publications.gc.ca):
Government of Canada Resources and Links
- 2012 Progress Report of the FSDS
- 2013 Fall Report of the Commissioner of the Environment and Sustainable Development
- Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency - Strategic Environmental Assessment
- Cabinet Directive on the Environmental Assessment of Policy, Plan and Program Proposals
- Commissioner of the Environment and Sustainable Development
- Federal Electronic Waste Strategy
- Federal Sustainable Development Strategy 2010 - 2013
- Federal Sustainable Development Strategy 2013 - 2016
- Policy on Green Procurement
Sustainable Development Secretariat
Department of Justice Canada
- Date modified: