Inventory of Government-Based Family Justice Services

Court-Based Services (Northwest Territories)

Northwest Territories

Type of service
Family Court Services

Services offered
When commencing an action in Supreme Court there are many option available about how to proceed. These can include: case management, pre-trial conference, and a settlement-oriented conference / mini trial. If a trial is required, the issues will be simplified to ensure that the entire process is more efficient saving both time and money for litigants. This service can be accessed in civil cases, including ones involving custody and access.

Mediation services may be available through an order of the court or alternatively through an application by the parties.

Pilot or ongoing service
Ongoing service.

Department responsible
Department of Justice

How to access this service
Parties who have agreed to case management, can submit a joint request to the Manager of the Supreme Court outlining the nature of the case and why they consider case management to be helpful or necessary. Parties who wish to try other options can make an application to the Supreme Court.

This service is available in French and English and interpreters are available if necessary

Available at

The parties are responsible for the cost of their own legal counsel although either party may be eligible for legal aid.

Governing legislation/legislative authority
Children's Law Act

Family Law Act

Rules of the Supreme Court of the Northwest Territories, Part 19.

Contact person(s)
NWT Court Registry
Manager, Civil Division
In Yellowknife 867-920-8760
Toll Free in the NWT 866-822-5864

Date modified: