Inventory of Government-Based Family Justice Services

Parent Information Program (Nova Scotia)

Nova Scotia

Type of service
Parent Education and Information

Services offered
The Parent Information Program (PIP) helps parents identify the effects of separation and divorce on children and to identify and practice ways to keep children from getting caught in the middle of parental conflict.

PIP aims to help parents to:

  • Identify the causes of conflict, what it looks like, and its effects on children
  • Use new communication skills to minimize conflict with the other parent
  • Better manage difficult emotions
  • Access a variety of supports and resources based on your specific circumstances
PIP has been offered in Nova Scotia since 1996. Lawyers and members of the helping professions, as trained volunteer facilitators, deliver a three-hour program using prepared scripts and videos. Judges also volunteer their time by speaking at each session, which is offered in the evenings, and sometimes on weekends (at select court sites only).

PIP is also available in an online format. The online session contains the same information as the in-person sessions, and uses written materials, audio, and graphics to deliver the Program. The online session is available in both English and French, and is open to anyone – there is no log-in required. To access the modules, visit .

Pilot or ongoing service
Ongoing service

Department responsible
Nova Scotia Department of Justice

How to access this service
Attendance at Parent Information is mandatory in Family Division sites and Family Court sites. Court officers, judges and other professionals may make referrals to Parent Information or parties may self-refer.

Parent Information is offered at all Family Division locations (the Halifax Regional Municipality, the Cape Breton Regional Municipality and Port Hawkesbury) and at every Family Court site in Nova Scotia.
[ Service(s) offered ]

English and French

Information about the Parent Information Program is available in both English and French at

No charge

Governing legislation/legislative authority

Contact person(s)
To access this service, contact the family justice centre which is responsible for the file (or if you are self-referring, contact the family justice centre you). Contact information about the various justice centres in Nova Scotia may be found at:

Date modified: