Inventory of Government-Based Family Justice Services

Office of the Children's Lawyer

Northwest Territories

Type of service
Services for Children

Services offered
The Children’s Lawyer represents children in custody and access court cases as well as court cases with Child and Family Services. The Children’s Lawyer presents information about the child’s views, preferences or wishes to the court.

Pilot or ongoing service
Ongoing service

Department responsible
Department of Justice

How to access this service
Usually a court order is required to have the Children's Lawyer appointed. If a child is involved with or has been apprehended by Child and Family Services, they can ask a social worker to request a lawyer for them. If parents are involved in a custody and access dispute, they can ask the court to order a lawyer to represent their children.

Services are available in English.


No cost to individuals.

Governing legislation/legislative authority
A court order is required for appointment of the Children’s Lawyer.

Contact person(s)
Office of the Children’s Lawyer
867-767-9253 ext. 82055

Date modified: