Inventory of Government-Based Family Justice Services
Family Court Assistance
Type of service
Family Court Services
Resolution Services provides several services to assist parties with their court matters.
- Family Court Counsellors (FCCs)
- Family Court Counsellors assist self-represented parties in the Provincial Court and the Court of Queen's Bench (Calgary) to navigate their family law matters. FCCs meet with the parties before court to discuss the issues, explore options and make referrals, including to mediation if possible. They assess the parties’ readiness for court, and assist the parties to prepare for the courtroom experience. They also assist the court by introducing the parties, providing a summary of the matters to be addressed, noting helpful resources when possible for the court, and facilitating referrals.
- Caseflow Conference
- Caseflow Conference is a program in the Provincial Court of Alberta and is required in Calgary, Edmonton & Grande Prairie. It is also mandatory for Family Law Act applications filed in Calgary Court of Queen's Bench. It is an alternative to a docket appearance in court before a judge. Matters are set to Caseflow Conference when someone without a lawyer applies to the Provincial Court about a child- related matter. Represented parties may use the program if they wish. The Caseflow Conference is a meeting which provides the parties the opportunity to talk about the issues in a private, less formal atmosphere than a courtroom. Parties are provided information regarding resources available to help them in resolving their dispute such as mediation and attending courses. If the parties consent, a draft court order can be created for a judge to review. The parties do not have to appear in court for the judge’s review.
- Court Generated Orders
- This service assists self-represented litigants whose Family Law Act metter in the Court of Queen's Bench result in a court order. Staff prepare the order and ensure it is filed with the court and that copies are provided to the parties, often on the day it is ordered. There is no cost for this service.
- Divorce Reviews
- Resolution Services staff or Court staff review desk Divorces before they are submitted to a Justice for review.
Pilot or ongoing service
Alberta Justice and Solicitor General
How to access this service
You may contact the Resolution office yourself, or the Court can refer you.
Fort McMurray 780-743-7345
Grande Prairie 780-833-4200
High Prairie 780-523-6183
High Level 780-624-6507
Medicine Hat 403-529-8716
Peace River 780-624-6507
Red Deer 403-340-7187
Dial 310-0000 first for toll free access in Alberta.
[ Service(s) offered ]
Governing legislation/legislative authority
The Caseflow Conference is mandatory by Regulation in Calgary, Edmonton, Grande Prairie amd Red Deer for self-represented parties filing a Family Law Act parenting, guardianship or contact claim.
- Date modified: