The Department of Justice supports restorative justice initiatives through the following funds subject to each Program’s priorities and terms and conditions:
- Justice Partnership and Innovation Program
- Youth Justice Services Funding Program; and
- Victims Fund.
Additionally, the Department supports Indigenous community-based justice programs in partnership with provinces and territories through the:
Restorative Opportunities is a Correctional Service of Canada program that offers people who have been harmed by a crime, either directly or indirectly, a chance to communicate with the offender who caused the harm.
Justice Canada Reports and Publications
The Research and Statistics Division (RSD) at the Department of Justice produces high-quality empirical research and statistical analysis using social science methods to help ensure policy decisions are based on evidence. The following are a number of restorative justice studies written by external subject matter specialists or in-house by RSD researchers.
- JustFacts: Recidivism in the Criminal Justice System – Research and Statistics Division (2020)
- Exploring the Use of Restorative Justice Practices with Adult Offenders with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD) - Jane Evans and Natacha Bourgon (2020)
- Restorative Justice and Sexual Violence: An Annotated Bibliography - Natacha Bourgon and Kyle Coady (2019)
- Crime Victims’ Experiences of Restorative Justice: A Listening Project - Catherine Bargen, Aaron Lyons, Matthew Hartman - Just Outcomes (2019)
- Victims of Crime Research Digest No. 11 – Restorative Justice: The Experiences of Victims and Survivors - Jane Evans, Susan McDonald and Richard Gill (2018)
- Research at a Glance: National Justice Survey 2017 - Restorative justice – Research and Statistics Division (2018)
- Victims of Crime Research Digest No. 10 – Judging Victims: Restorative choices for victims of sexual violence - Jo-Anne Wemmers, Ph.D (2017)
- Research at a Glance: Youth Engagement project - Restorative justice – Research and Statistics Division (2018)
- Principles of Restorative Justice (2017)
- A Report on the Relationship between Restorative Justice and Indigenous Legal Traditions in Canada - Prof. Larry Chartrand and Kanatase Horn (2016)
- Re-Thinking Access to Criminal Justice in Canada: a Critical Review of Needs, Responses and Restorative Justice Initiatives - Patricia Hughes and Mary Jane Mossman (2004)
- Victims’ Experiences with, Expectations and Perceptions of Restorative Justice - Jo-Anne Wemmers and Marisa Canuto (2002)
- The Effectiveness of Restorative Justice Practices: A Meta-Analysis - Jeff Latimer, Craig Dowden, Danielle Muise (2001)
- The Effects of Restorative Justice Programming: A Review of the Empirical - Jeff Latimer and Steve Kleinknecht (2000)
Restorative Justice Videos
Reconciliation through Restorative Justice
This video examines restorative justice in the context of a First Nation healing circle.
Report a problem on this page
- Date modified: